Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sweet Vermicelli


The other day we were discussing something, and my children did not know what a typewriter was.  When we explained it to them, it was something incomprehensible to them.  As a child, I remember the annoying noise of the typewriter my mom used to use to type letters.  And of course no one was allowed to go near the machine as it could get spoilt.  I remember this one time pulling out the ribbon to see how it worked and having ink all over me.  And I can never forget the punishment that followed for spoiling the ribbon.  

Vermicelli
Later in life, when I was in my late teens I worked as an office assistant.  It was just the beginning of computers and we had to use them sparingly as they could get "spoilt" and it was difficult to find technicians to repair them.  At that time I also used a typewriter and remember how annoying it was when mistakes were made in your letter or your boss forgot to dictate an important point and you were sent back to re-type the whole thing.  Gradually as the computers were replaced by these machines, it was such a relief as everything became so much easier - no more retyping letters.  Of course there was the occasional loss of data due to power failure as then we still did not have the UPS.  Nonetheless, at least I know what a typewriter is and have had the (dis)pleasure of working on one.  Unfortunately my children would only get to see one in a museum or if they come across one in someone's attic and even then they would be told to be careful as it would always be an "antique".


Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon butter
1 cup vermicelli, broken into small bits
¾ cup sugar
30 grams almonds and cashew nuts, sliced
20 grams raisins, sautéed in butter
¾ cup hot water
¼ teaspoon nutmeg-cardamom powder
Rose essence

Method:
  1. Fry vermicelli in the butter till dark brown.  
  2. Add hot water, sugar and stir continually.
  3. Serve sprinkled with cardamom, nutmeg powder and rose essence.
  4. Top with nuts and serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment