Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tuna with tomato and pasta



I have yet to come across a child who does not like pasta.  The last time we were in Italy for a week, my children ate pasta and pizza all seven days - both for lunch and dinner.  And after we got home, and I asked them what they would like for dinner, yes...the said "pasta".  And since pasta is always easy to make and can always be reinvented, it is a good thing they like it.   For example today afternoon my daughter was upset with me because I did not take her grocery shopping and to McDonald's for ice-cream.  This is usually our Wednesday routine - shopping and then an ice-cream and chatting at the McDonald's close by with both the children. However, today when she learnt I was making pasta, she did not mind me not taking her out.

Sunflower seeds; dried tomatoes &paprika
Wednesdays are my day off work.  I work 4 days a week at office and since the children are off on Wednesday afternoons, I use my parental leave on Wednesdays to be with them.  So the morning I dedicate to doing my chores, chatting with my family in India or just reading and then once the children get back from school at noon, we spend the time doing things together before I then drop then off for their piano or guitar classes.  Before I know it, the day is over.  It is nice because mentally I am more relaxed, but physically it is a hectic day - like for many of us the weekends can also be very hectic days - driving the children around for different activities, shopping, the odd birthday party.  Like I sometimes joke with my colleagues when they ask me how my weekend was, I reply "It is Monday and I am happy I can rest in office today".

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves 5

Ingredients:

2 tins tuna
500 grams linguine pasta
6 shallots
8 cloves garlic
6 tomatoes
1 tablespoon each of dried paprika & dried tomato
2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped
4 tablespoon grated mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste

Method:

  1. Boil water and let the tomatoes rest in it for 15 minutes.  
  2. Peel the skin of the tomatoes and cut into four pieces and keep aside.  
  3. Coarsely grind the shallots and garlic together.  
  4. Heat olive oil in a pan.  
  5. When hot, quickly fry the sun flower seeds and take them out of the oil and keep aside.  
  6. In the same oil, put the onion-garlic mixture and fry for 2 minutes 
  7. Now add the tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes.  
  8. Add the canned tuna and the dried paprika, tomato and sunflower seeds.  
  9. Add salt and basil leaves and keep on low flame for another 10 minutes.  
  10. Boil the linguine according to the box instructions and serve with the tuna.  
  11. Garnish with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment