Sunday, December 12, 2010

Carrot Cookies




Yesterday I had been to the market to do my weekly grocery shopping, and I came across a promotion for carrots - 2 kilos for 0.69 Euro cents (approximately 41 Indian rupees).  So I immediately took the packet and came home and wondered what could I use them for - carrot juice, carrot halva or something else.  So quickly I sifted through the papers I have of my mom, and came across two recipes that looked interesting - carrot cake and carrot cookies. 

I have made carrot cakes before, so decided to try the cookies instead.  And besides I could pack what was left for school tomorrow for the children as snacks.  Besides, my son has his mid term exams and likes to snack on something while studying - so these could be something perfect for him...at least I know there are no artificial flavourings or colours used and the butter in them he could do with being so skinny.

Raw, boiled & mashed carrots
The weather too has been sunny today and not as cold as previous days, so makes me in mood to go back to the kitchen and try out something new.  The last couple of days I have been to lazy to try anything new.  On Friday I got back tired from office and was in no mood to cook.  So my husband volunteered to make noodles wok.  So I wrote down the list for him and he went to the super market, got some of the things and with my daughter's assistance made a nice Friday night noodles and fish wok.  So we settled with our plates of wok in front of the telly and watched "Strictly come dancing" which is the UK version of dancing with the stars.  Yesterday was a Christmas party at work, so we had some snacks there and for dinner again some fish...we are real fish people...try to include it in our diet at least three times a week.
Brown Sugar

 Preparation Time:  30 minutes
Serves 24 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked and mashed carrots
1 egg
1 ½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
Egg, butter & sugar & then the flours
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt

Method:

Cook and mash the carrots and allow them to cool.  Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the beaten egg and vanilla.  Add the carrots.  Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add this to the mixture and beat until smooth.  Drop teaspoons on a greased tin 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 degrees C.  I add some chocolate chips for decoration on top of the cookies before baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment