Monday, December 6, 2010

Murg Ek Pyaz

Murg ek Pyaz in hindi literally translates to Chicken with One Onion.  I remember in restaurants in India we often came across a dish called "murg do pyaz" which translates to "Chicken with two onions".  However, I never really thought you use two onions in that dish or one onion in the dish below - I thought it was just a name. But I guess we all learn something new everyday.

I like chicken usually dry to have with bread or chappati.  I have tried different ways of making dry chicken, and some I have liked better than others.  The recipe below, is one I like because of the strong taste of the capsicum and the hour long marination/cooking in the onions and spices.  The original recipe called for the marination to happen before the cooking and the to put it all on the fire.  But I prefer the slow cooking method of the chicken in all spices and the onions as the taste is different then.
Chicken, Onion, Capsicum, Chili & Coconut

Preparation Time: 80 mins
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast, cut
1 green capsicum, cut into cubes
1 large onion, sliced
1 green chilli, slit
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
½ cup grated coconut
Oil
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil in a pan.  Fry the onion and chilli till the onion is browned.  Discard the chilli.  Add the chicken with the fried onion, ginger-garlic paste, coriander and chilli powder and keep on very low flame for 1 hour.  After an hour, add the capsicum, simmer for two minutes and turn off the heat.  Garnish with the coconut and serve with bread or chappati.

Tip:  Ginger garlic paste can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks with vinegar as a preservative.
Ginger Garlic Paste





No comments:

Post a Comment