Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lady's Finger Delight

Lady's finger or Okra as it is commonly known, is one of my favourite vegetables and those of my husband too.  It is not a vegetable that is commonly found in Belgium.  So we sometimes take a 30 minute drive in the weekend to Brussels to visit the Pakistani shop who gets this vegetable from the UK.  Some day I will post pictures of this Pakistani shop which sells almost everything you find in India - from Eno to Fair & Lovely...from Haldirams to mithai.  I have never been disappointed there as I have always been able to find what I need.

Lady's finger spoils easily so should be cooked in a couple of days after purchase.  Also while purchasing, it is always good to go for the tender ones which tend to be smaller and not the bigger sized ones.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 cup thick yoghurt
200 gms tender lady’s finger
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt and chilli powder to taste
Pinch of asafetida
A few springs of curry leaves
Oil for frying

Method:


Wash and wipe the lady’s finger and cut into thin rings.  Put oil in pan over low heat.  When hot, add the curry leaves and asafetida.  Now add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt.  Add the lady’s finger and fry till soft.  Mix well without breaking the lady’s finger.  I toss in the vessel as in this way there is no breaking of the rings.  Take off the fire.  When the lady’s finger is cool, add the yoghurt and mix well.  Can be served as a side dish.  I use dried curry leaves as fresh ones are not always available here.




No comments:

Post a Comment