Books - let us talk books today. With so much snow and nothing to do outside, what else can keep me company? From the time I was young, I have loved reading. I remember going to the school library and getting Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and reading them in an evening and then having to wait for a week before I could get another book out of the library. Then when I was bigger, I joined the city library and was able to get books more often home. After marriage I moved to Yemen for 5 years and remember missing reading books so much. Internet was not so advanced then, there were no English books available there and I missed books so much.
Coming here to Belgium again opened doors for me in terms of reading - I was able to easily find books in libraries, sales or on-line ordering. The bad habit I have though is that it is very difficult for me to throw or get rid of the book after reading. I have tried to encourage the children also to take up this hobby. I remember in the beginning I had to blackmail them to read - read this book and then you will get to see the film made on this book. Once the habit was inculcated, they now want to be at the library every week and check out the new books and get them home. It is just a matter of getting children interested in this hobby - once the interest is aroused, they nurture the habit on their own.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 kilo assorted vegetables like potatoes, French beans, carrot, peas and cauliflower.
2 cups uncooked Chinese egg noodles
2 teaspoon oil
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
½” Ginger, crushed
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons curry powder
¾ cup coconut milk
- Prepare the egg noodles according to the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain noodles and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- When hot, add the onions. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt and tomato and stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium and cook till vegetables are tender but not over-cooked, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve the stew over the noodles.