Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Instant Semolina Cake


My backyard in the gloomy weather
Today is another grim day outside - cold and grey with chances of rain.  To keep warm, the best thing would be to either snuggle in front of the fireplace with the laptop and spend my time browsing the net or reading a book or then forcing myself to go in to the kitchen and prepare some surprise for my little girl.  This morning before she left for school she gave me a call to remind me that Tuesdays are her most tiring days and she likes it when there is something ready for her to munch when she gets home at 4 in the evening.  

I have tried different types of cake, but never one with semolina.  I would think it would crumble rather than stay together so I would be interested in finding out how this cake turns out.  The bright side is whatever I make and label cake, wars are fought in my house over it.  My husband and son are cake lovers and would literally be at each others throats for cake.  The carrot cake I made yesterday was preserved and hidden in an unknown container and location by my husband so no one gets to it before he comes home this evening.  So maybe having another cake at home would not be so bad knowing that the demand is so high.  Besides anything with the word "instant" is more than welcome in today's busy world.
All ingredients mixed

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 cup semolina, fine
1 cup half-fat milk
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method:

  1. Mix all the ingredients well together to form a smooth batter without lumps.  
  2. Pour into a greased and floured cake tin and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes.  
  3. Cool and remove from tin.  A cake cannot get more instant than this.

Tip:  I use baking paper to line the baking pans so when the cake is ready and cool, I just lift the whole thing with the baking paper and cut on it and the baking pan is as clean as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment