Soufflé is meant to be something that is usually light and fluffy and uses the egg whites to "puff up" the mixture. Cauliflower is the least favourite of my vegetables...i guess because it looks so bland and can have such and over powering taste at times. However, in this dish the cauliflower taste is evened out with the cheese. It is a rich and heavy dish, but perfect for cold evenings when you want something quick and warm out of the oven.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
450 grams cauliflower
15 grams all purpose flour
15 grams unsalted butter
|Egg yolk & Cheese|
150 ml half fat milk
55 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
- Para boil the cauliflower in 1 cup salted water. Keep water aside.
- Drain and break the cauliflower into flowerettes.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- When hot, add the flour and fry for a 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the milk and the cauliflower stock. Mix well. Cook on low flame till medium consistency. Cool.
- Add well beaten egg yolks and grated cheese. to the white sauce.
- Beat whites stiff and fold into the white sauce mixture.
- Put cauliflower into a greased pie dish and pour sauce over. Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees C) for 20 minutes and serve hot.