Friday, February 25, 2011

Walnut topped Chocolate Brownies


Desserts – my children love to end their dinner always with a dessert.  They do not necessarily want a starter or even a main meal, but a dessert is always a must after dinner.  Not necessarily always to be a pudding or a cake – they content themselves even with a small chocolate as long as it is designated “dessert” and is “sweet”.  I have a very small electric oven in the kitchen, so anything I bake has to be minuscule in size – 4 portions mostly so no chance of a second serving in case all four of us at home like the dessert and are not ready to share.  When it comes to dessert, at home we can be very selfish and really fight over it – all of us have a sweet tooth.  I do sometimes forgo my dessert if I husband wants my share and uses mean means like reminding me of my weight to get it from me.  I have been promised a bigger oven once we renovate the kitchen – but that can be a few years away. 

I have seen many brownie recipes, but the one below is quite quick to prepare and since the butter is more, it is quite moist and creamy.  I also top it with a lot of walnuts which is a good source of proteins.  One of my colleagues once mentioned, “A dessert is really tasty when you feel you have sinned when you eat it.”  Now I would not say I thought I sinned when I ate this brownie, but I did feel guilty after a generous serving.  But then again, it is not that I feel guilty everyday.

Preparation Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:

250 grams all purpose
2 eggs
250 grams castor sugar
250 grams unsalted butter
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoon broken walnut bits
1 tablespoon milk (if needed)

Method:

  1. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs till soft.  
  2. Add the salt, vanilla essence and cocoa powder and beat further till creamy.  
  3. Add the flour and mix well.  
  4. If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.  
  5. Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured cake tin and sprinkle the broken walnut bits on top.  
  6. Bake for 40 minutes on 180 degrees C.  Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment