Friday, February 4, 2011

Luxury Apple and Date Crumble

Some weeks back Nelson Mandela fell ill and was hospitalized.  His country prayed for his quick recovery.  The world prayed for him.  I prayed for him.  Death is inevitable, but we always hope and pray that people like Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi can somehow live forever.  The legacy they leave behind is never forgotten.  Their legacy lives on forever.  Generations are taught about their life and principles, what they stood for, what they fought for and what are right.  What do we all want to be remembered for when we are long gone?  I once read that if we wrote down our own eulogy, we would know how to become better persons. So keep the end in mind and work towards that goal.  I have not written my eulogy, but I do keep it in mind sometimes in my interactions with my family, my colleagues my friends and my neighbours – helps me to be more loving, more helpful and just be able to give more to others.

I have got the autobiography of Nelson Mandela – A long walk to Freedom and am pretty excited to start reading it.  I am sure there is so much to learn from it.  You will know all about it on this blog as and when I come across something I want to share with you.  My husband also has the autobiography of George Bush Jr. and that too would be an interesting read.  
 
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

500 grams cooking apples, peeled, cored and chunked
4 tablespoons brown sugar
100 grams dates, stoned and roughly chopped
2 cloves
1" stick cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
Blade of mace
For the Topping:
125 grams whole wheat flour
75 grams brown sugar
75 grams unsalted butter, chilled
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
25 grams walnuts, finely chopped

Method:

  1. Combine the flour, spice and sugar in a bow before rubbing in the cold and diced butter into the mixture until the crumble resembles bread crumbs.  
  2. Stir in the chopped nuts and set aside while preparing the apples.  
  3. Layer the apples and the dates in a buttered heat proof bowl, sprinkling sugar over the fruit as you stack it. 
  4. Slip in the whole spices.  
  5. Cover completely with a heap of the crumble and bake at 190 degrees C for about 30 minutes.  It can be served warm with cold cream or custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment