Friday, February 18, 2011

Lady's Finger and Tomato Curry {Okra & Tomato Curry}


Last week I had experimented with on-line shopping for my grocery.  Of course it was not a total success because I missed out on some things and had to go to another supermarket to purchase those and bought things I had already bought on-line – so had a double of many things.  But on the whole, I liked the experience and so am trying it out again this weekend.  Throughout the week I have been adding to my on-line shopping list and then finally yesterday evening I checked out (virtually) and will pick up the grocery tomorrow morning.  It will save me at least 1 hour of time which is so very precious for me on a Saturday – it means either some extra sleep time or then a quick trip to the local library to get some books for the children.  Getting up by 6 o’clock every morning during the week means I would use that extra hour to sleep in and send the hubby to the library with the children.
The recipe below is for a very simple okra and tomato curry which is quick to cook and has a nice tangy taste.  I used it as a side dish to complement some grilled salmon I had made and it worked well together.  Alternatively you can also have it as a light dinner along with some bread or chappatis (Indian bread).  

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

150 grams Ladies Finger
250 grams Tomatoes
1 medium red Onion
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon Corn Flour
1 teaspoon Sugar
½ cup milk
Salt to Taste
3 tablespoons sunflower Oil

Method:

  1. Slice ladies finger to medium sized pieces.  
  2. Pan fry in 2 tablespoons of oil for 15 minutes.  Keep aside.  
  3. Grind tomatoes and onions to a fine paste and keep aside.  
  4. Mix corn flour with milk to a smooth consistency and keep aside.  
  5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a thick bottomed vessel.   
  6. When hot, add the tomato-onion purée and cook till the raw taste disappears, approximately 5 minutes on a medium flame.  
  7. Add turmeric, chilli powder, salt, sugar and corn flour mix and stir for 2 minutes.  
  8. Add fried ladies finger and cook for 2 more minutes.  Garnish with cream.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment