Friday, February 4, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love to entertain.  It gives me such joy to have people around – to hear the sound of laughter in the house.  To be able to serve my guests the things I prepare.  I remember during my time in Yemen, I absolutely did not know how to make desserts.  They were my weak point.  I preferred to make savoury dishes, but sweets, cakes and desserts were really not my thing.  Gradually I started with easy things – simple cakes and cookies and began to get the hang of the ingredients – the tastes – the cooking temperatures – the way the dough rises – the perfect colour of the cakes.  It was all about practice.  I am far from perfect in desserts, but try to improvise.  

The recipe below is for the famous chocolate chip cookies almost everyone likes.  I like to add a touch of nutmeg to mine to give it that distinct flavour.  I would like to someday experiment with white chocolate perhaps or maybe even a mixture of the two.
 
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 dozen

Ingredients:

170 grams flour
¼ teaspoon salt
85 grams butter
85 grams granulated sugar
85 grams brown sugar
1 egg
Vanilla essence
115 grams chocolate
1 Nutmeg, grated

Method:

  1. Sift flour and salt.  
  2. Cream fat and sugar and then beat in the egg and a few drops of vanilla essence.  
  3. Add dry ingredients and then stir well.  
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips.  
  5. Put in teaspoonfuls on to a greased baking tin and bake at 180 degrees C for about 10 minutes.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment