Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Chaat


Why do we always think that the grass is greener on the other side?  For a certain amount of time we are satisfied with what we have or what we do, but that soon fades and we want to have or do what the other person has or does.  I am sure that “other person” wants what we have too.  If I am employed, I wish I had a business, if I had a business I wish I was employed.  If I lived in an apartment, I wish I had a villa and if I had a villa I wish I had an apartment.  If I had a car, I wish I had a bike and if I had a bike…no wait…thank God I have a car.  It is too cold to have a bike at this time of the year.  OK- I need to correct myself.  We mostly think that the grass is greener on the other side.

Sev
Chaat is a sort of snack or light dinner that is eaten in small quantity.  The dish below uses sev which is a yellow noodle like fried snack prepared using gram flour.  This is readily available in any Asian store in the section where all ready-made packaged snacks are sold.

Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves 6

Ingredients:

1 medium sized Chicken
5 medium sized red tomatoes
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
Tamarind, lemon sized ball
Pinch of sugar
10 medium sized red onions
1” piece ginger
Pinch of turmeric powder
4 flakes garlic
Pinch of garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Sev (yellow salty fried noodles)
2 tablespoons Coconut, grated (optional)

Method:
  1. Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of hot water and extract the pulp.  Keep aside.  
  2. Clean and joint the chicken.  
  3. Wash and slice the tomatoes and keep them aside.  
  4. Slice onions finely.  
  5. Grind the ginger and garlic along with the garam masala.  
  6. Heat oil in a vessel and fry the onions till light brown.  
  7. Now add the chicken pieces and ground ginger-garlic paste.  Stir well for a few minutes.  
  8. You can add the coconut gratings now if you want to use and fry for a further two minutes.  Add the chopped tomatoes and cook covered on a low flame till all the water evaporates and the chicken is cooked, approximately 30 minutes.  
  9. Add the tamarind pulp and sugar and salt and simmer till the gravy thickens.  
  10. Serve hot garnished with the sev.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! It reminds me of street food in India! I really miss it :) It's too bad that there is not much street food type of food here (except durum/pitta). I made bhel puri on Monday (from a Haldiram's packet, cheating I know :).

    ReplyDelete