Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vegetarian Omelet

It has been some time now I have been looking for wheat germ with no success.  I tried the Asian shops, Belgian shops and also the internet in Belgium, with no success.  So last Sunday I decided to visit the Bio shops to see if I could find some there.  Like all women, I went to look for wheat germ and ended up buying many other things while on my “look out” for the wheat germ on the lined up shelves.  I was able to find and purchase the wheat germ along with the 20 or so other items I also put into my basket while walking the aisles.  Like in any Bio shop, the price of these products is more than double the ordinary ones we find here in Europe.  Interestingly though these products are sold as “normal” products in the developing countries for 1/8th their price here. 

It brought me again to something I discussed with you before – we always crave for things we do not have.  Dried mangoes are sold in these bio shops with a fair trade mark for a substantial amount if compared to what I could get in India or Africa for the same mango – but fresh and juicy and tastier.  On the other hand I find Kiwis being sold in India as premium fruits.  It is a matter of class now if a person buys Kiwis or blueberries in India compared to the humble Mango.  So again – I want something I cannot have or in this case I want something the country I live in does not grow. 

The below is an omelet which is simple to make using basic ingredients and can be served for breakfast, as a snack or light dinner.  You can also add boiled peas to the mixture for some more variation.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients:

50 grams gram flour (besan)
¼ white onion
1 green chilli
Salt to taste
A few sprigs coriander leaves
50 grams tomatoes
1 tablespoon butter milk
2 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil

Method:

  1. Sieve gram flour and keep aside.  
  2. Chop onion, green chilli, coriander leaves and tomato.  
  3. Mix all the ingredients together with the flour and add more water if needed to get a batter of thick consistency.  
  4. Heat oil in a skillet.  Spread batter.  Cook for 2 minutes.   
  5. Turn over and pour oil around the edges and a little on top.  
  6. Remove when done and serve hot with tomato ketchup for snacks or breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment