Thursday, March 3, 2011

Onion Foogath

Time zones – one of the most confusing things when you have family scattered all over the world.  And to add to that confusion – the Daylight Saving Time or DST concept where the clocks are moved 1 hour ahead in summer and 1 hour back in winter in selected countries.  Not to mention that this clock change could vary in some countries which follow the DST and not all of them move their clocks forward or backward on the same day.  Of course why I mention time zones and DST is because my brother moves to the US this week for an assignment and now I need to now keep track of how many hours behind he is if we want to talk and how many hours ahead India is if I want to chat with them and how this calculation changes end of March when we change our clocks here in Belgium for the DST.  So now on my laptop I have in addition to some other times from around the world, added the time for North Carolina to know when is a good time to wake up my brother and inform him of all the trivial things happening in my life. 

When I came across this recipe in my mom’s papers, I had never heard what a foogath was.  So I did a bit of googling and inquiring around and no one was able to tell me exactly what it was – some said a dish that was made with coconut was a foogath, others said a recipe that was simple and took less than 10 minutes to prepare with minimal ingredients was a foogath.  So I would think it could be either of the above or maybe something completely different.  In any case, it is a simple side dish that can be served either hot or cold with meats, fish or chicken. 

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves 6

Ingredients:

500 grams small red or white onions
3 green chillies
A small piece ginger
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
1 tablespoon apple cider
Salt to taste

Method:

  1. To peel these small onions, soak them in water for some time and the peel comes off easily.  Keep aside.   
  2. Slice green chillies and chop ginger.  
  3. Heat oil and when hot, add mustard seeds.  
  4. When they crackle, add onions and cook on low flame, covered, till onions are tender.  
  5. Stir in the apple cider and take off flame.  Serve as a side dish, hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment