Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cream of Leek Soup

Often when things do not go as planned or anticipated, I have told myself or my children, “Everything happens for a reason”.  But do things really happen for a reason or is it our way of being positive and making ourselves happy. “I did not get the job – there is a reason for that – maybe something better in store for me in the future”, “My best friend moved country – maybe there is a good reason and I will make other new friends here”, “My new job sucks – this is a good reason for me to take up a good hobby and who knows what will come out of that” – some of us can find reasons for things not happening for every single thing.  Are such people having a positive attitude towards life, or just giving up and blaming it on ‘everything happens for a reason’? 

I use it often as it helps my children or husband or friends move on.  I would like to believe I use it because helps me look at a brighter future rather than spend my energy and time not giving up.  But then again does this not contradict “try try till you succeed”?  I have reached a peace with myself on this – I will give it my best shot – will not keep pushing till I succeed and will believe in the fact that everything happens for a reason. 
 
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

455 grams leeks
700 ml white stock, vegetable or chicken
300 ml milk
15 grams unsalted butter
15 grams all-purpose flour
Salt and black pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Wash and trim the leeks; slice thinly.  
  2. Cook leeks in stock till tender.  
  3. Purée and return to the fire.  
  4. Cream the butter and the flour and add to the purée. 
  5. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  
  6. Add hot milk.  
  7. Bring to a boil and serve hot with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment