Some weeks back our very helpful neighbors invited us for dinner along with the other neighbor we did not know that well. Needless to say, the other neighbor too turned out to be a very nice middle aged couple who was very fond of travelling and who actually made me very interested in this next place I would like to visit – the Angkor Wat Temples in Cambodia. Declared a UNESCO Heritage sight, the Angkor Wat Temples were built in the 12th century.
Coming from a place like India, I have seen more than my fair share of Temples and architecture. The Angkor Wat is nothing more than what I might have already seen. But why I want to visit them is because of the unique situation of the Temple – on a hill. Our neighbors described the special dinners that could be hosted at the Temples – the whole temple site is lit in candle lights, traditionally dressed Cambodians serve you meals , live music being played while you are seated in the premises of these Temples – the Gods watching over you. It could be heavenly – what could be more perfect than dining with someone you love in sacred grounds!
Preparation Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 dried red chilies
60 grams red onions
6 garlic cloves
1" piece ginger
3 cardamom pods
Salt to taste
30 grams cashew nuts
1 tablespoon raw basmati rice
2 tablespoons coconut shavings
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1" piece cinnamon
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
250 ml coconut milk
Coriander leaves, for garnish
- Clean and joint the chicken and keep aside.
- Roast together the coriander seeds, red chilies, cloves, cardamom, cashew nuts, rice, coconut shavings, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and cinnamon and when light brown, grind together to a find powder. Keep aside.
- Grind ginger and garlic and mix with the ground spices.
- Marinate the chicken in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Slice onions. Heat oil in a vessel and when hot, add the onions. Fry for a couple of minutes till light brown in color.
- Now add the chicken with the marinade and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook covered on low flame for 20 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk and simmer for a few more minutes or until the chicken in cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or bread.