Friday, March 23, 2012

Prawn Patia



I have been thinking I should probably have a “top 5 places I want to visit before I die” list.  I love to travel and love to meet people from different backgrounds and cultures and taste their food.  At the same time I also want to see the world – experience their lifestyle, shop where they shop, understand how the live, see what matters to them the most in life.  For that I have to travel.  Sometimes I wish I had taken up a career in travel writing or journalism.  I do not think I would have been married then or had children.  We have to make choices in life, don’t we?

OK – so which are the top 10 places I want to visit before I die and why?  Let us take it 1 place at a time – the next ten blogs you will hear about those 5 places in no particular order and why I so very much want to visit the place.  What attracts me to those places, what I know about those places and what could perhaps frighten me in those places? Writing about this would also help me review my list.  I cannot choose whole continents in these lists – it has to be countries or places. 

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

500 grams prawns
4 big yellow onions
4 tablespoons corn oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic
2 green chilies
4 dried red chilies
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon cumin powder
4 tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped

Method:

  1. Slice onion fine.  
  2. Clean and wash prawns well.  
  3. Grind cumin seeds, garlic, red and green chilies and keep aside.  
  4. Cut the tomatoes and keep aside.  
  5. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions till they turn light brown.  
  6. Add the ground spices to it along with the salt, turmeric and powdered cumin and coriander powders.  Fry well.  
  7. Then add the chopped tomatoes and coriander leaves.  
  8. Lastly add the prawns and cook for about 5 minutes.  Remove from fire and serve hot with bread or plain boiled rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment