Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spicy Kebabs


Choices – freedom to make our own choices – whether good or bad, whether right or wrong – just the thought that we have the freedom to do what we want is a good feeling.  But to what extent do we go and abuse our freedom?  For example, yes, we do have freedom of speech and freedom of press.  But does this entitle us to defame others or commit blasphemy?  If I tell you that you cannot do so, then do you still have freedom?  Do we misuse or take “freedom” for granted?  Better still, do we even understand what “freedom” means?

We come across choices every day in our life – choices that seem relatively simple to us and sometimes choices we make unconsciously, but choices nonetheless.  An unconscious choice I could make could for example have an impact on my carbon footprint.  I could choose haricots to make for dinner – the choice here would be to buy haricots grown and shipped from Kenya or haricots grown in Belgium.  Or I could choose to work for a company whose goals are against my principles – I could choose to leave that company and work someplace else or continue working there even if it means going against my principles.  Getting up every day and knowing I get to make the choices in my life, makes me happy.  However, with this freedom also comes a responsibility which we often choose to ignore.  I do have freedom of speech – but with this comes the responsibility I have to make sure I do not say things that are untrue, do not vilify others and treat this freedom I am given more sacredly.   

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Makes 30 balls

Ingredients:

450 grams ground beef/chicken mince
1 egg
3 garlic cloves, crushed
½ red onion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons cumin powder
1 ½ teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumb
1 small green chili or red chili, seeded and chopped
Salt to taste
Corn oil for deep frying

Method:



  1. Place the chicken mince (I substituted the chicken for the beef) in a large bowl and add the egg, garlic, onion, spices, seasoning, lemon juice, chili and half the bread crumbs.  
  2. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients together until the mixture is firm.  If it feels sticky, add more bread crumbs and mix again till firm. 
  3. Heat oil in a deep pan.  Shape the mixture into balls or fingers and fry, a few at a time, for 5 minutes or until well browned all over.  
  4. Using a slotted spoon, drain the kebabs and then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.  Cook the remaining kebabs in the same way and then serve with a spicy sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment