Monday, October 10, 2011

Radish Flat Bread {Mooli Paratha}


Have I anytime told you that I do not have an oven in my kitchen?  Well, I had one of those small little table top ones which I used to bake my cookies and cakes in, but last week it fell apart.  So now I am “oven-less” and so in effect “cake-less” and “cookie-less” which is good for my weight.  But I cannot live without an oven.  So you would think I would just go out and get myself an oven.  That was the intention.  But then we passed some places for installation of new kitchens, and decided we needed a new kitchen too which would include the new oven.  

We spent three hours sitting with a designer in one of these kitchen places and made a sort of design on what or how we would like our kitchen to look.  At first I was not at all interested in the design as I was apprehensive about how it might look in real, but then after we completed the design, I did not like what was designed but it gave me a clearer idea of what I would like.  So this week we will again go to another place with the “clearer” idea I have in my mind to see what we could be offered.  My main criteria for a kitchen are a gas oven since I have the notion that I can control it better, a five-burner stove so I can prepare several things at the same time and not bother about the size of my vessels and a marble top work space since I think it looks nice.  For the rest, the design, the esthetics and the color – those are left to my husband’s discretion.  We do work well as a team and divide our tasks and risks and the blame.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 10 flat breads

Ingredients:

2 fresh white radishes
2 cups wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon carom seeds, crushed
Warm water, as needed

Method:

  1. Sieve the flour and keep aside.  
  2. Grate the radishes and mix with the flour.
  3. Mix all the ingredients with the mixture.
  4. Knead gradually and add more flour if needed.  Since the radishes have water, there is no need to add any water.  Keep aside for 10 minutes.  
  5. Divide the dough into 10 equal parts.   
  6. Flour a flat surface and with a rolling pin, roll out.  
  7. Heat a flat iron girdle, and when hot, put the rolled out bread on it.  
  8. Roast on both sides till brown and done.  
  9. Continue rolling the rest of the divided dough and cook at the same time.  Serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment