Friday, September 16, 2011

Asparagus Ribbon Salad



I am beginning to realize I am in shortage of some things:

(a)    I have too many recipes to make and too little time.  If I cook even 1 every day, I would need to do this for the next 10 years.  So in case we like a particular food or crave for something in particular, I would not be able to cook it to finish cooking all the recipes I have in the next 10 years.  This also means I cannot accept to eat at any other place – be it a restaurant or a friend’s place nor can I go for any vacations or business trips.  So I decided to leave the time factor out and just cook what I want, when I want and update blog accordingly.  Which I cannot complete in my lifetime, I will pass over to my children to do.
(b)   I also have too less people to feed – the more people I can feed what I cook, the more recipes I can try out and avoid storing old food and having to take care of it.  I could get rid of this issue by simply cooking less quantity, but I would really like to feed more people.  So some day in the future a restaurant could be the answer to this problem.  Let us see how that goes.
(c)    Ingredients – I shop more or less once a week for fresh vegetables and fruits and fish and meat.  This means the best recipes I can make would be in the beginning of the week when everything is still fresh.  As the week wears along, I have to switch to pulses and things that are not of the fresh type anymore.  Also I try to shop for seasonal vegetables and fruits.  Now to solve this problem, I would need to dedicate some time to sorting all my recipes based on the seasons and work them through.  A very tedious task taking into consideration the amount of recipes and papers I have…but some things just have to be done.

Now that I have jotted down my thoughts and worries, it makes me feel better. 

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

12 tender green asparagus
½ cup pine seeds
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste
½ cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Olive Oil

Method:

  1. Mix the Oil in a bowl along with the lemon juice, black pepper and salt and keep aside.   
  2. Use a potato peeler to shave the parmesan cheese and keep aside.   
  3. Toast the pine seeds lightly in the oven till golden in color and keep aside.  
  4.  Now wash the asparagus and cut off the ends on the thick side.   
  5. Hold vertically and using the potato peeler, make shavings.  
  6. Mix this into the bowl with the seasonings. 
  7. Add the lime juice and the pine seeds just before serving.







No comments:

Post a Comment