Monday, April 4, 2011

Sesame Delight {Chikki}

Some weeks back, I had announced here on the blog that I have experimented with on-line shopping for my groceries.  More than a month now, and I do still my weekly grocery shopping through the net and love it.  I think it has sort of become indispensable now for me to do my shopping like this.  I get used to the conveniences of modern life very soon.

What I really like about this method of shopping is the comparisons I can make against brands check reviews on products and read details of the labels and all within the convenience of my own home.  I start adding to my “virtual” basket from Monday and by Friday evening I check out to pick my shopping on Saturday morning.  What more could I ask for when I am always running short on time!

“Chikki” is a sweet made usually with sesame or peanuts or cashew-nuts and jaggery.  There are various varieties with some other ingredients.  However, the one below reminds me of the time I would walk to school with my little sister and then stop at these little mom’n’pop grocery stores and buy these for 10 paisa and suck on them till we reached school.  These days when I make them at home, I eat them in a more sophisticated way – with a cup of black steaming tea.  And I renames them 'sesame delights'.
 
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 24 squares

Ingredients:

100 grams Sesame, roasted lightly
150 grams jaggery or palm sugar
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
½ cup water

Method:
  1. In a thick bottomed vessel put the jaggery and ½ cup water and bring it to a thread consistency by heating on a medium flame.  
  2. Take off the flame and add the coconut and sesame.  
  3. Spread on a butter paper or oiled baking tray and spread using a rolling pin.
  4. Mark with a knife squares and break into bits when cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment