The video of a 68-year old lady, Karen Klein, who was abused by four teenagers while on a bus in New York has gone viral on the net. Donations have been collected for her and the overall response from people has been kindness. But who has apologized to her for what she had to go through? I have seen people debate whether it is the school or parents’ responsibility for how those teenagers behaved.
Where are our morals? We always stood up when an elderly person needed a seat on the bus, always wished and thanked people for kindness shown. We have never abused the elderly. We have never been disrespectful towards our elders. We have always set our morals high. Then why is this degradation in morals affecting our new generations? Where are we going wrong?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + overnight marination
1 red/yellow bell pepper, deseeded and cut into juliennes
2 carrots cut into juliennes
1 cucumber, cut into juliennes
2 spring onions, sliced
1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
1 cup Thai basil
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the chicken and marinade:
2 skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
For the Dressing:
1 small fresh red chili, finely chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental stir fry sauce
- Flatten the chicken breasts slightly and cut each lengthwise into two. Further cut these pieces into thin long strips. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl and mix well. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside, covered in a plastic wrap in the fridge overnight.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combines.
- Combine the bell pepper, carrot, cucumber, green spring onions and herbs on a large serving platter.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan until smoking.
- Fry the chicken on both sides until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Remove and place on the platter of vegetables.
- Drizzle on the dressing and sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately while the chicken is still warm.